A forty-year-old global marketing and distribution company, in petrochemicals and polymers industry. Annual group revenues are around $4 billion. The company’s head office is in Houston, Texas, USA and have a presence in 35 other countries across the globe.
The Position: Finance Controller, Europe
The Finance Controller is responsible for providing leadership to the Finance and Accounting function in Europe, with combined annual revenue of over US$200 million. The position reports to the Group CFO, based at Houston and works as an active business partner with the Director, head of Europe and his team. The Finance Controller position also works collaboratively with all functional heads in the HQ. The Finance Controller works under tight deadlines and a multitude of activities including financial reporting, planning, budgeting, treasury, credit, internal controls, and year-end audit. Tax and treasury functions are centralized at Houston.
Key Accountabilities of Financial Controller:
- Financial Reporting and Analyses (FP&A)
- The Finance Controller will have a hands-on responsibility
- Planning & Forecasting – Prepare annual budget
- Month-end Close – This means that the Financial Controller will have the responsibility of ensuring integrity, accuracy and timeliness of balance sheet and income statement, in compliance to US GAAP, and local statutory requirements.
- Monthly business analytics, comparison with prior period, budget, variances
- Compliance, Audit & Internal Controls
- The Finance Controller will have to ensure internal controls are effective, maintain relations with external auditors and manage annual audits.
- Business Partnering
- Support operations to help drive financial profitability through cost control, improve profitability and cash flow will all be roles of the Finance Controller.
- The Finance will Controller will assist Group Treasurer in maintaining relationships with local banks, obtaining credit facilities from the local banks. Manage Foreign Exchange Risk by hedging. Manage payments to Suppliers
- Cash Management
- As Financial Manager the candidate will have to manage cash balances and cash forecasts
- Assist Group Tax Director, located in Houston:
- Financial Controller will have to ensure all local regulatory direct and Indirect taxes compliance
- Assists local tax consultants to complete various income tax filing and reporting requirements in the respective countries
- As Financial Controller the candidate will have to assist Tax Director in completing annual US compliance – boycott and intercompany schedules, copies and translation of all foreign income tax returns and tax payments as well as US reporting purposes
- Work with local tax authorities with regard to queries, audits, and assessments etc.
- The Financial Controller works with the local team to optimize VAT
- Statutory Obligations
- As Financial Controller it will be the responsibility of the candidate to ensure compliance with local laws and local statutory filing requirements with various government authorities.
Qualifications & Education required for Financial Controller:
- The position of the Financial Controller requires a Bachelor or advanced degree in Accounting
- CA, CPA, ACCA, RA certification, strong preference
- Working knowledge of Dutch language
- To be successful in the role of Financial Controller the most suitable candidate will have month-end and year-end close experience in SAP
- Proficient with computers and applications; Microsoft Office, database systems
- The most suitable candidate for the Financial Controller role will have 8 to 10+ years overall experience as a Finance Manager/Controller preferably spread over several countries in Europe
Skills/Experience/Knowledge preferable for Financial Controller:
- An ideal candidate for the Financial Controller job would be a person who can work independently, has strong organization and management skills, can be an effective business partner to the sales & commercial teams, manage the local regulatory compliance, strong on internal controls and can take ownership of numbers by supervising and managing the two accountants and the people in shared service center supporting Europe.
- Strong organization and management skills
- The perfect candidate for the Financial Controller role will be a self-starter, Initiative driven individual with strong desire to succeed;
- Strong on internal controls and compliance
- The most suitable candidate for the Financial Controller role will have strong analytical skills; with the ability to research and be the owner of the P&L, Balance Sheet and other financials; can tell the story behind the numbers instead of hiding behind them
- “Hands-on” SAP ERP and BPC experience;
- Financial Controller should have working knowledge in US GAAP
- Experience with direct and indirect taxes (VAT) reporting
- Ideally the Financial Controller will have the ability to work concurrently on multiple projects and tasks
- Detail-oriented and organized in work; ability to meet assigned deadlines;
- The best candidate for the Financial Controller position will have the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem-solving, and results.
- Public Accounting experience a plus